Try Brussels sprouts, squash, potatoes with Italian flair
Missy Robbins, executive chef of A Voce restaurants in New York City, is known for creating classic Italian dishes with a contemporary twist. Here are Robbins' recipes for delicious side dishes: Brussels sprouts, potatoes and squash.
- 2 quarts Brussels sprouts, stem cleaned and out leaves removed
- Zest of one lemon, finely chopped
- 3 lemons, cut in half and seeds removed
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup pecorino romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- Salt to taste
1. Cut the Brussels sprouts in half.2. Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high heat.3. Preheat and oven to 400 degrees.4. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to the hot pan and begin to place the Brussels sprouts in one layer cut side down until the surface of the pan is full.5. Cook the Brussles sprouts until golden brown and season with salt. Remove to a cookie sheet or baking dish and repeat process with remaining Brussels sprouts.6. Place the Brussels sprouts into the preheated oven and cook until just tender. 7. Place the cooked Brussels sprouts into a large mixing bowl and squeeze the lemons over the sprouts. Add the zest and the chilies and finally add 1/2 cup pecorino and 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs. 8. Place into serving dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs over the top.
- 16 yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 16 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bunch Italian flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch of chives chopped
- 1 gallon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.2. Slice potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.3. Season with salt and pepper.4. Slice garlic cloves into 3 pieces lengthwise.5. Place potatoes, garlic and rosemary in deep roasting pan or baking dish. 6. Cover with olive oil.7. Cover the roasting pan with foil.8. Place in oven and cook on low heat until tender, approximately 20 minutes.9. Remove from the oven.10. With a slotted spoon remove the potatoes and garlic from the olive oil and place onto a serving platter.11. Garnish with parsley and chives.
- 4 pieces delicata squash
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 bunch sage
- 1/2 cup chopped pine nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Split the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon from each half.2. Cut the squash into rings 1/2-inch thick. 3. Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high heat.4. Heat oven to 350 degrees.5. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to the pan and place squash in the pan. Cook squash on one side and remove. Set aside in one layer into a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.6. Repeat with remaining squash.7. Place in preheated oven and finish cooking until tender, about 15 minutes8. While the squash is cooking place butter into a saucepan and melt. Continue cooking until foamy and golden in color. Add balsamic to it.9. Take squash out of the oven and arrange on a platter. 10. Sprinkle the parmigiano reggiano over the squash. 11. Pour the warm butter balsamic mixture over the top.12. Garnish with the sage and pine nuts.