I love this recipe because it's healthy, full of flavor and so easy to prepare. The maple syrup balances out any bitterness from the Brussels sprouts so all you taste is the freshness of the veggies.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, regular or Italian-style
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 20 ounces shredded Brussels sprouts
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 to 2 lemons, for squeezing
- Toasted breadcrumbs (recipe above)
For the toasted breadcrumbs:
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toast until golden, about 3 minutes. Season with garlic, salt and pepper.
For the pasta:
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add shallots, garlic, Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper. Let cook until charred and soft, about 10 minutes. Add chili flakes and maple syrup and let cook a few more minutes.
3. Add Brussels sprouts mixture to pasta and toss with parsley. Drizzle with more olive oil, if needed, and season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Divide into bowls and squeeze with lemon juice. Lightly sprinkle each portion with toasted breadcrumbs and serve.