Raw, shaved Brussels sprouts come together with walnuts and a sharp cheese in this lemony salad.
Special equipment: Food processor
- One (10-ounce) container Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus, more to taste
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Manchego, young pecorino or aged Gruyere cheese
1. In a food processor using the thinnest slicing disk, slice the Brussels sprouts (they will fall apart into shreds). Or, using a knife, slice the sprouts as thinly as possible. Put the sprouts in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Let rest for 5 minutes.
2. Add the olive oil and toss well. Add the walnuts and cheese and toss gently. Taste and adjust seasonings. You can serve this immediately, but it gets better after an hour or so.