I like to use a mandoline for this recipe or the shredder attachment on my food processor. It makes the whole process much easier and really shreds the sprouts into a lovely tangle of green. Of course, you can also just use a sharp knife and get the slices as thin as possible.
- 8 slices smoked bacon cut into ½ inch strips
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, sliced or shredded
- 2 medium onions, peeled, halved and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil (as needed)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of a lemon
1. Sauté the bacon until it starts to crisp in a saute pan. Add the sliced Brussels, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil (as needed) and toss together.
2. Saute on the stove for about 5-10 minutes until the sprouts and onion soften.
3. Transfer to a serving dish and pour over the lemon juice just before serving.