The opposing flavors and textures of the crispy, salty bacon and sweet, smooth pumpkin butter actually complement one another perfectly. The savory Brussels sprouts round out the autumnal flavor profile of this seasonal dish.
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound slab bacon
- 4 pieces flatbread, store bought
- 2 cups pumpkin butter
- 2 cups roasted Brussels sprouts (recipe above)
- 1 cup bacon lardons (recipe above)
For the Brussels sprouts:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Parboil the Brussels sprouts in boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Remove and drain.
3. In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts, olive oil and salt and pepper to evenly coat the sprouts.
4. Place on a sheet pan with aluminum foil and place the oven. Roast for 30-40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
For the bacon lardons:
1. Dice the bacon into medium size pieces.
2. Place in medium sauté pan and slowly cook, rendering out the fat, until the pieces start browning and caramelizing.
3. Remove from the pan and drain onto paper towels. Reserve.
For the flatbreads:
Lay the flatbread out on a table and evenly spread the pumpkin butter onto each one.
Generously spread the Brussels sprouts and bacon lardons on top of the pumpkin butter. Place in oven and roast until edges of flatbread are golden, or until desired doneness.