I love this recipe because it takes all the wonderful flavors of pizza and packs them into a protein-rich frittata. You get the terrific tomatoey and cheesy flavors of your favorite slice without any of the carbs!
- 5 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces small, fresh mozzarella balls (ciliegine) or chopped fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil.
2. Toss the tomatoes with 1½ tablespoons of the olive oil, the dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Arrange the tomatoes on the prepared baking pan cut-side-up and roast until they are slightly shrunken and caramelized, 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly then remove the skin and cut each tomato half in half lengthwise.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F.
4. Whisk the eggs, half-and-half and 3/4 teaspoon salt together in a bowl. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the eggs then distribute the tomatoes and the mozzarella evenly inside. Cook on the stove until the bottoms and edges are just starting to set, about 2 minutes.
5. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until just set in the center, 10-12 minutes.
6. Let stand at least 5 minutes then top with basil leaves and serve. The frittata can be served warm or at room temperature.