Make your banana bread healthier and even tastier by adding mashed parsnips.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard loaf pan or spritz with nonstick baking spray.
- Bring 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water to a boil over medium heat and add the sliced parsnips. Boil until the parsnips are tender, about 8-10 minutes, then drain.
- Mash the parsnips with the sour cream in a large bowl to make a chunky paste, or puree in a food processor and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the banana and mash with the parsnips. Stir in the sugar, butter and eggs.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Gently stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients to make a thick batter. Stir in the chocolate chips and/or nuts, if using.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is domed and golden brown, and a tester or knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool before slicing and serving.