Give avocado toast an Asian-inspired twist with scallions and sesame.
Technique tip: Poach the eggs first so you have them ready when it's time to plate.
Swap option: You can add garlic, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar for an Italian-twist instead of the Asian-inspired ingredients such as sesame seeds and ginger.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into rough cubes
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped, light and dark green parts separated
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 2 eggs, poached
- Sriracha, for serving
- 4 pieces good quality whole grain bread, toasted, for serving
1. Place the soy sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce has reduced to half its original volume, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, use a fork to roughly smash the avocados. Add the feta, lime juice and rice vinegar and stir to combine. Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Since feta cheese is salty, you'll want to be shy with the salt at first and add more at the end, if desired.) Add the cilantro, the light parts of the scallion (reserve the dark green slices for garnish), ginger and most of the toasted sesame seeds (reserve some for garnish). Taste and add more salt or pepper, if desired.
3. Transfer the avocado mixture to a shallow serving bowl and top with the poached eggs, dark green slices of scallion, reserved sesame seeds, reserved soy sauce reduction and a dash of chile-garlic sauce. Serve with the toast.