Our editors independently selected these items because we think you will enjoy them and might like them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time. Learn more about Shop TODAY.
While temperatures are steadily rising with the change of the season, there's still plenty of days and nights that are a little chillier than others. Most of us want to do only one thing during cold days: snuggle up inside.
Why everyone needs (and loves) throw blankets
- They're comfortable: New York City-based interior designer Diana Mui of d.m.teriors told Shop TODAY that a throw blanket is a great way to finish up a room. “It can also easily add comfort by snuggling into it during movie night,” she said. “I couldn’t do without one.”
- They're versatile: Because they’re relatively inexpensive and not hard to store, you can switch them out depending on your mood, the season or room theme, Mui added.
But, how do you pick the best one? There are so many different fabrics and sizes out there, after all.
How do I choose a throw blanket?
- Be selective about fabrics: When it comes to finding the best material for a throw blanket, Mui said her favorite for colder stretches are faux fur and usually chunky. Not only does it add warmth, but the look gives the space nice texture. One of her least favorite fabrics for throw blankets is pure wool. “I am not a fan because I find it itchy, and it pills easily,” she said.
- Go bold with colors and patterns: This is where you can really have fun. “There are really no rules here,” Mui said, adding that a throw blanket with a fun design or bold hue can give new life to your space. “For example, if you have a room that doesn't have any splash of color, a single throw blanket can transform a room.”
- Pick a size based on where it'll go: If you’re buying one for the sofa, Mui suggests going with something sized around 50” x 70.” “It’s small enough to move around, but large enough to cover yourself and snuggle.” And if the blanket is for the bedroom, Mui suggests going with a bigger size. “I think it makes a bed look more finished and fills it out nicely,” she added.
How to fold throw blankets
For living room throw blankets, Mui recommended neatly folding them and draping over a piece of furniture, or you can just throw it casually in the middle of the sofa. “It’s the one accessory you can have that doesn't need to be set perfectly on the sofa.”
For bed throw blankets, you can fold it neatly at the end of the mattress to make it part of the bedroom’s everyday style.
In the market for a new throw blanket? Here are some cozy options that fit Mui's advice.
Best throw blankets to keep warm
Help your home pop with some color! Available in four fun motifs like citrusy lemons and crawling cheetahs, this highly-rated blanket is great if you want to add more bold hues to your space.
It might be hard to get up from a quick nap after cuddling with this cloud-like throw blanket, but that's never a bad thing (unless you have a meeting or date to get to). Available in eight pleasing colors, its soft microfiber fabric is specifically made to never shrink, pill or wrinkle.
This artisan-made throw blanket is not only effortlessly stylish, its supremely soft, stretchy fabric only gets better over time.
This throw from The Twillery Co. gives off serious beach-chic vibes with its tasseled ends and 100% cotton material. It's also available in five soft hues like slate and teal.
The large size of this Parachute throw blanket makes it great for folding up at the end of the bed, adding a subtle elegance to the room and giving you extra layers for warmth.
Look at how soft that is! With over 3,300 glowing five-star ratings on Amazon, this faux fur blanket is a favorite among shoppers. It comes in 22 different colors and a variety of sizes that will fit a sofa or bed.
This chunky knit is made from acrylic fabric. It’s great for adding texture and warmth to a space, but it might be best for display only since it does have a tendency to shed. But if you do want to curl up with it, just keep a lint roller handy!
Made with microfiber polyester, this simple blanket is soft, durable and super affordable. It also comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
If you’re looking for a warmer throw blanket, this option from Pottery Barn is a good bet. Available in six different colors, the blanket is lined on the reverse side with a soft sherpa.
If you’re looking for a lightweight fabric that will work in warmer months, this handcrafted tie-dye throw blanket from West Elm is ideal.
For more stories like this, check out:
- 6 weighted blankets for a better night's sleep — and they're all under $100
- Elevate your wardrobe with 11 bestselling loungewear pieces under $50
- How to transform your living room in 25 simple, affordable ways
- 14 affordable couches that look way more expensive than they are
- Real Simple Sleep Awards: 11 picks for a good night's rest
This article was originally published on January 30, 2019.