As fall turns into winter, the time has come to break out all the cold weather essentials (if you haven't already). After all, brisk temperatures and inclement weather make most people want to do one thing: snuggle up inside.
Whether you're lounging on the sofa or cuddling up in bed with extra layers, throw blankets can give you extra warmth while also adding style to your space.
Why everyone needs (and loves) throw blankets
New York City-based interior designer Diana Mui of d.m.teriors told Shop TODAY that a throw blanket is a great way to finish up a room. “It can also easily add comfort by snuggling into it during movie night,” she said. “I couldn’t do without one.”
Because they’re relatively inexpensive and not hard to store, you can switch them out depending on your mood, the season or room theme, Mui added.
How do I choose a throw blanket?
- Be selective about fabrics: When it comes to finding the best material for a throw blanket, Mui said her favorite for colder stretches are faux fur or something chunky. Not only will it add warmth, but its look will give your space nice texture. One of her least favorite fabrics for throw blankets is pure wool. “I am not a fan because I find it itchy, and it pills easily,” she said.
- Go bold with colors and patterns: This is where you can really have fun. “There are really no rules here,” Mui said, adding that a throw blanket with a fun design or bold hue can give new life to your space. “For example, if you have a room that doesn't have any splash of color, a single throw blanket can transform a room.”
- Pick a size based on where it'll go: If you’re buying one for the sofa, Mui suggests going with something sized around 50” x 70.” “It’s small enough to move around, but large enough to cover yourself and snuggle.” And if the blanket is for the bedroom, Mui suggests going with a bigger size. “I think it makes a bed look more finished and fills it out nicely,” she added.
How to fold throw blankets
For living room throw blankets, Mui recommended neatly folding them and draping over a piece of furniture, or you can just throw it casually in the middle of the sofa. “It’s the one accessory you can have that doesn't need to be set perfectly on the sofa.”
For bed throw blankets, you can fold it neatly at the end of the mattress to make it part of the bedroom’s overall appearance.
In the market for a new throw blanket? Here are some cozy options that fit Mui's advice.
Best throw blankets to keep warm
This reversible throw features a ruched pattern on one side and solid color on the other, so you can flip it to match your aesthetic whenever you need. Available in four colors, it's made with soft-to-the-touch faux fur that you'll want to stay wrapped up in all day long.
If you’re looking for a warmer throw blanket, this option from Pottery Barn is a good bet. Available in six different colors, the sherpa blanket is adorned with a pom pom trim.
This artisan-made throw blanket is not only effortlessly stylish, its supremely soft, stretchy fabric only gets better over time.
Handwoven in Peru, this alpaca throw is the perfect finishing touch for any bedroom or living room decor. A bestseller, it comes in eight different colors and is even hypoallergenic so people with sensitive skin can be cozy, too.
Give the room an extra bit of holiday cheer with this snowflake-printed throw that has a chic fringe trim.
Cuddle up with this sherpa back throw that will make you feel like you're wrapped in clouds, according to West Elm.
This bestselling handknit throw will make you feel comfy and cozy like your favorite cable knit sweater. It comes in 10 different colors and, right now, you can snag select colors on sale for less than $90.
Help your home pop with some color! Available in four fun motifs like sun patterns and multicolored abstract shapes, this highly-rated blanket is great if you want to add more bold hues to your space.
It might be hard to get up from a quick nap after cuddling with this cloud-like throw blanket from Barefoot Dreams, but that's never a bad thing (unless you have a meeting or date to get to). Available in six pleasing colors, its soft microfiber fabric is specifically made to never shrink, pill or wrinkle.
This throw from The Twillery Co. gives off serious beach-chic vibes with its tasseled ends and 100% cotton material. It's also available in five soft hues like slate and teal.
The large size of this Parachute throw blanket makes it great for folding up at the end of the bed, adding a subtle elegance to the room and giving you extra layers for warmth.
Look at how soft that is! With over 3,500 glowing five-star ratings on Amazon, this faux fur blanket is a favorite among shoppers. It comes in 20 different colors and a variety of sizes that will fit a sofa or bed.
This chunky knit is made from acrylic fabric. It’s great for adding texture and warmth to a space, but it might be best for display only since it does have a tendency to shed. But if you do want to curl up with it, just keep a lint roller handy!
Made with microfiber polyester, this simple blanket is soft, durable and super affordable. It also comes in a variety of colors and sizes.
For more stories like this, check out:
- 13 winter candles to make your home cozy and warm
- Deck the halls for less with these holiday greenery deals from UrbanStems
- 28 hacks to make the holiday season feel less stressful
- 3 essential winter coat styles your closet needs, according to an expert