Ready to infuse your kitchen with irresistible holiday aroma? Make a batch (or double batch) of these fluffy treats. Each one comes complete with a subtly sweet and tart flavor and offers luscious cranberries in every bite. The orange zest and juice complements the cranberries perfectly, and these muffins freeze beautifully, which means you can warm them in the microwave for busy morning meals or afternoon snacks.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, from about 1 orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice, from about 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (if using frozen, do not defrost)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mist a standard-size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. (Alternatively, you can use paper liners and mist the insides with a bit of oil spray to prevent the muffins from sticking.)
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to combine.
3. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, honey (or maple syrup), egg, orange zest and juice, vanilla extract (and optional almond extract) and butter. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the yogurt mixture into the well. Using a spoon or spatula, stir a few times to just barely combine the batter. Then add the cranberries, and continue to stir until the batter is fully combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly among 12 muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through to ensure the muffins are baked evenly. The muffins are done when the tops are firm and spring back to touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of comes out clean.