I'm always trying to find a way to squeeze more joy into my mornings, and a pancake that is inspired by my favorite cookie brings a lot of spirit to the AM.
Technique tip: To guarantee each pancake has bites of pretzels, salts, chocolate and butterscotch, sprinkle the ingredients on the batter once it has started to cook on the griddle, then flip.
Swap option: This is a choose your own adventure breakfast. You could swap out chocolate chips for white chocolate chips or graham crackers for cookie bits — do you!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 snack-sized pretzels, broken up
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup graham crackers, broken up
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- butter, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and oil. Pour this into the flour mixture and whisk until your pancake batter is smooth. In a medium bowl, combine the pretzels, oats, graham crackers, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
3. Spray your griddle or nonstick skillet and warm it over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Once the pancake is on the griddle, sprinkle 3 tablespoons worth of your pretzel/chocolate chip mixture on top! Cook until the pancake batter has set on the bottom and browned (bubbles will begin to appear on the top and a few will burst), 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully with a spatula and cook the other side until golden-brown, 1-2 minutes.
4. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.