I love this rib roast because it's simple. There's really just not much work to it. And when you bring it out, it makes a spectacular presentation. And it tastes so good.
- One standing 3-rib roast (about 8 pounds)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1. Remove the roast from the refrigerator 2 hours before cooking and season generously with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
3. Meanwhile, combine the herbs, garlic and Dijon; mix to combine.
4. Place the roast in an open, shallow roasting pan, fat side up.
5. Rub the Dijon mixture over the fat cap.
6. Put the roast in the preheated oven and roast for exactly 40 minutes. When cooking time is finished, turn off the oven, but do not open the door at any time.
7. Allow the roast to remain in the oven until oven is lukewarm, about two hours.
8. Serve the roast within 4 hours of removing from the oven.