Who doesn't love a beer-braised brat on game day? We love to top these savory sausages with homemade spicy mustard and tender onions at our tailgates.
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons white/yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon creamed horseradish
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 stick butter
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups beer
- 1 splash pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 brats (about 2 pounds)
- 10 crusty hard rolls
For the spicy mustard:
Grind the seeds in a spice grinder (or use a mortar and pestle). Combine with the rest of the ingredients, mix well and let rest at room temperature. Best if made the day before.
For the brats:
1. Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer until the onions are soft and translucent. Add beer, pickle juice and red pepper. Bring to a simmer and slightly reduce. Add the brats and simmer until the brats reach an internal temperature of 150°F.
2. Meanwhile, set up the grill for medium direct heat.
3. Remove the brats and place on the grill. Turn frequently until a golden brown color is achieved and remove.
4. Turn up the heat the heat on the onions to reduce the beer until it sticks to the onions.
Toast buns then add a brat, beer onions and spicy mustard.