Tomatoes and fresh oregano are combined with filling, protein-rich chickpeas in this healthy, easy vegetarian pasta recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Slice the tomatoes lengthwise into thick slices (about 1/2 to 3/4 inches) and place on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon fresh minced oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Roast the tomatoes for 25-30 minutes, until slightly shriveled and browning at the edges.
- While the tomatoes roast, bring a 6-quart pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the water and when it dissolves, stir in the orecchiette.
- While the orecchiette cooks, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the chickpeas and their reserved liquid and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until softened and warmed through.
- When the orecchiette is al dente, add it to the chickpeas along with the remaining roasted tomatoes and any juices from the pan. Toss to combine and let the pasta cook for 30 seconds more to absorb the sauce.
- Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano. Serve immediately.