This sandwich is a huge hit with the family; they go crazy for it! It's a classic for a good reason. The tender beef, melty cheese and sautéed veggies are a match made in sandwich heaven.
Swap option: You can use cheese sauce instead of provolone.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1½ pounds leftover prime rib roast, sliced (recipe linked above)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- barbecue rub, to taste
- 1/2 pounds sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 pounds sliced white American cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
1. Preheat broiler to high heat.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil heat until oil is shimmering.
3. Add onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent and peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Move onions and peppers to the side of pan and add sliced prime rib slices and heat about 2 minutes. Combine meat, onions and peppers, season with salt, pepper and barbecue rub, to taste.
5. Place a layer of each cheese on the hoagie rolls and put under the broiler. Cook until cheese is melted, then remove from oven, add meat, onions and peppers, and serve.