- 4 medium zucchini, each cut in half lengthwise
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange or yellow), diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat kefir
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2-3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 dash kosher salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber (optional)
This recipe combines the de-bloating power of four foods: zucchini, chicken breast, peppermint and kefir. It also delivers the deliciousness in a fun presentation of zucchini boats. The kefir-mint topping is divine, but can be omitted if you're lactose intolerant.
Technique tip: Any leftover filling is a tasty topping for salads or it can be used in lettuce wraps or omelets.
For the zucchini boats:1.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Scoop out the center of the zucchini halves with a spoon. Save the insides and chop them into small pieces. Set aside the zucchini shells.2.
Liberally coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, bell pepper, chopped zucchini centers, and tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies become soft.3.
Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and cook until they are no longer pink. Stir in the chives, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes (if using) and salt.4.
Place the zucchini boats open side up on a baking sheet. Spoon the chicken- vegetable mixture evenly into each zucchini boat, mist the tops with cooking spray, and bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack.
For the kefir-mint topping:
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
Serve zucchini boats with kefir-mint topping on the side.