I love the vibrant colors of the bell peppers and this dish makes for great leftovers throughout the week. The tender chicken, earthy beans, nutty brown rice and melty cheese make this such a healthy and satisfying dinner.
- 3 bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- olive oil spray
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups leftover Chicken Tinga (recipe linked above)
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1½ cups reduced fat shredded cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Spray the open halves of the peppers with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the halves in a baking dish with the open side facing down. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes to soften.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, rice, beans and cilantro. Fold everything together very well.
4. Once the bell peppers have finished baking, use a tablespoon to stuff each pepper half. Top off each half with a little cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from the foil the last 3 to 5 minutes of baking in order to brown the top of the cheese.