This recipe has the best elements of tiramisu and trifle combined into one delicious dessert. A tasty browned butter, raspberry and rum drizzle replaces the traditional Italian amaretto and espresso for a fruity and rich finish.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 loaves store-bought pound cake
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for serving
1. Grease an 8-inch square pan.
2. Heat butter over medium-low heat in a small saucepan until melted then allow to simmer 2-3 minutes, until toasted. Remove from heat and let cool.
3. Whisk together jam and rum until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, fold together the whipped cream, mascarpone, sugar and vanilla until light and smooth. Set aside.
5. Slice the pound cake into 3/4-inch thick slices and cover the bottom of the greased pan with one even layer of cake. Drizzle half the browned butter over the cake, then pour in about 1/2 the rum jam mixture evenly allowing it to soak into the cake.
6. Spread half the mascarpone mixture over the cake. Add a layer of fresh raspberries, then repeat with another layer of pound cake, the rest of the brown butter, the rest of the rum mixture, the rest of the mascarpone and another handful of fresh raspberries.
7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours up to overnight. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.