TODAY has teamed up with our partner and sponsor Blue Apron to bring you these fast and easy chicken and buttermilk biscuit sandwiches with shredded collard green and carrot slaw, ready in only 30 minutes! Want to get the ingredients straight to your door? Get two servings and more great meal options with a special $30 discount. Click here to learn more!
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bunch collard greens
- 1 cup buttermilk biscuit mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
1. Prepare the ingredients and make the spicy mayonnaise: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Wash and dry the fresh produce. Peel and grate the carrot. Peel and mince the garlic; using the flat side of your knife, smash until it resembles a paste (or use a zester). Remove and discard the collard green stems; thinly slice the leaves. Small dice the butter. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, half the garlic paste and as much of the hot sauce as you'd like, depending on how spicy you'd like the dish to be; season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Make the biscuits: Lightly oil a sheet pan. Place 1 tablespoon of the biscuit mix in a small bowl; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining biscuit mix, butter and a big pinch of salt. Using a fork, mix until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is evenly distributed. Add the buttermilk and stir until thoroughly combined. Divide the dough into 2 equal-sized portions. Using slightly damp hands, form the portions into 2-inch rounds. Place on the prepared sheet pan. Bake 14 to 16 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a clean, dry work surface. Let the biscuits cool for at least 5 minutes.
3. Make the slaw: While the biscuits bake, in a medium bowl, combine the collard greens, carrot, vinegar, honey and remaining garlic paste; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to marinate, tossing occasionally, for at least 10 minutes.
4. Coat the chicken: While the slaw marinates, place the reserved biscuit mix on a large plate. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper on both sides. Thoroughly coat the seasoned chicken in the reserved biscuit mix (shaking off any excess); transfer to a plate.
5. Cook the chicken: While the slaw continues to marinate, in a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the coated chicken. Cook 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; immediately season with salt and pepper.
6. Assemble the sandwiches and plate your dish: Cut the cooled biscuits in half horizontally. Transfer the cooked chicken to a cutting board; cut each piece in half crosswise. Spread a layer of the spicy mayonnaise onto the bottom half of each biscuit. Top with the halved chicken and some of the slaw (you will have extra slaw). Complete the sandwiches with the biscuit tops. Divide the sandwiches and remaining slaw between 2 dishes. Enjoy!