Eating dairy-free or vegan food doesn't mean you have to miss out on your favorite flavors and textures. This recipe has all the rich and creamy goodness of traditional macaroni and cheese without the fat and calories.
Swap option: I like to use black truffle salt in this recipe for an added flavor boost.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, regular or Italian-style
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2½ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2½ cups water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound elbow pasta or gluten-free pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Toasted breadcrumbs (recipe above)
For the toasted breadcrumbs:
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and toast until golden, about 3 minutes. Season with garlic, salt and pepper.
For the sauce:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. On a baking sheet, toss the cauliflower and garlic with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Arrange in a single layer and roast for about 30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft, tossing frequently.
3. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender and add the water, cashews, lemon juice and remaining salt. Blend on high speed until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
For the pasta:
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook to al dente according to package directions.
2. Drain and return the pasta to the pot off the heat. Add the sauce and parsley to the pasta in the pot and toss to coat.
3. Top with toasted breadcrumbs and serve.