I have to say that my mother actually never made dip when I was growing up and I have been making up for lost time ever since. I love steamed and roasted artichokes, served plain, with some lemon, and this dip is a quickly enriched version of that great flavor mixed with lots of fresh herbs and tangy cream cheese.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichokes, defrosted, coarsely chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic, grated
- 3/4 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whole-milk sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch chives, minced
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, minced
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the artichokes and cook until some of the liquid evaporates, 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach. Season with salt and stir in the red pepper flakes. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to remove any excess liquid. Transfer to a strainer to drain off any liquid and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic. Cook over low heat until the garlic softens, 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the cream cheese, sour cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir in the spinach and artichokes, chives and parsley. Taste for seasoning. Transfer to a serving bowl.