Scott Conant shares a flavorful steak recipe that's perfect for a cookout or a special dinner at home.
- 8-ounce skirt steak
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Salmoriglio Sauce
- ¼ cup garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons capers, non-pareil (smallest size), rough chopped
- ½ tablespoons chili flakes
- ½ a lemon, zested
- Salt, to taste
- 1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, lemon juice
- 1 8-ounce skirt steak cooked and rested for 5 min
- 3 tablespoons salmoriglio sauce at room temp
- Baby arugula or a season young green
- 3-4 heirloom grape tomatoes halved
- Maldon salt, optional
Marinate steak overnight with garlic, herbs, red pepper flakes and olive oil.
Next day, season steak with salt.
Heat a cast iron pan or grill pan until smoldering. Sear steak in hot pan about 3 minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for 3- 4 minutes till medium rare Remove steak and lest rest on a rack.
Finely chop everything by hand separately.
Caramelize shallots, garlic, chili flakes then add the capers and ½ of the lemon zest, salt to taste (capers are salty). Cook for 10-12 minutes
Remove from heat and cool down. When cooled, add the rest of the lemon zest and juice, parsley, oregano and stir to combine (important to add when cool to prevent herbs browning and to keep flavors fresh). Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
Slice steak against the grain and arrange on plate. Arrange lettuce and tomatoes on top.
Drizzle generously with salmoriglio. Finish with maldon salt.