- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bulb fennel, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 cups tomato purée
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups veal or chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Bolognese is the ultimate Italian comfort food. The rich, meaty sauce is incredibly flavorful and only gets better when you toss it with al dente pasta and top it with Parmesan cheese.
In a food processor, grind the onion, fennel and carrot until finely ground.2.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the ground vegetables, red pepper flakes and garlic and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the moisture evaporates, stirring occasionally.3.
Add the chicken and veal and cook until browned. Then add the tomato purée, wine and stock to the saucepan. Stir to mix and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 1½ hours or until the sauce thickens and is reduced by one quarter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.4.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the pasta for 6 to 8 minutes, until al dente.5.
Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce. Stir in the butter, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.