Beignets are a New Orleans classic. They are wonderful with a morning coffee, alongside afternoon tea, as an after dinner treat or any time of day!
Technique tip: Have a very well-floured work surface to prevent sticking. Flour your rolling pin.
Swap option: You may use vegetable oil instead of ghee.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3½ cups bread flour
- 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups ghee, for deep frying
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, for dusting
1. In a medium-size bowl, combine warm water, sugar and yeast, and whisk until combined evenly. Set aside for the yeast to begin activating. It will become foamy.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs until whites and yolks have combined and gradually add in the vanilla extract and evaporated milk. Turn off the mixer and add in half of the bread flour. Beat in the flour until smooth. Turn the mixture to low speed and gradually pour in the yeast mixture; mix until smooth. Add in the butter and mix until well-combined then add in the remaining flour and salt. Mix until the dough is smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least two hours, or overnight.
3. Prepare a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside. This will be to place the beignets on after they have cooked.
4. In a tall saucepan, heat the ghee until it reaches 350 F. Be sure you have about 5 inches of space between the level of the ghee and the top of the pan.
5. Dust your work surface with flour and remove the dough from the refrigerator.
6. Roll out the dough so it is a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut the dough into 2- to 3-inch squares.
7. Fry the dough squares a few at a time, until they puff up and are golden-brown in color, about 1 minute. Do not overcrowd your pot. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beignets to the baking sheet lined with paper towels and repeat with remaining dough.
8. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.