The pineapple upside down cake is possibly the perfect cake. Its ingredients are inexpensive, and are even often found in the everyday pantry. Preparation and baking times are always under an hour. You could make dessert for a last-minute dinner party, make unconventional birthday cupcakes or fulfill a late night craving while barely lifting a finger. It's classic look and well-balanced flavors speak to everyone. A true crowd-pleaser.
- Four 5-ounce ramekins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Fresh pineapple slices or 1 can pineapple slices
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray individual 5-ounce ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine brown sugar and butter saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes bubbly (this happens after a few minutes).
3. Pour the caramel mixture evenly into individual ramekins.
4. Arrange one pineapple slice in each ramekin on top of the caramel mixture. Place a cherry in the center of the pineapple ring, if using.
5. Next in a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, eggs and pineapple juice until well mixed.
6. Evenly pour cake batter in each ramekin on top of individual pineapples.
7. Bake mini cakes for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Cool cakes for 10 minutes then go around the exterior of each ramekin with a butter knife to loosen each cake and flip on serving plate and serve warm.