Boy, am I crazy for Cobb salad! It’s stacked high with so many fresh goodies—crunchy greens, diced egg, bacon, blue cheese, avocado and chicken, topped with a creamy ranch dressing. But in this case, salad most definitely doesn’t equal slim. In fact, a big bowl drenched in dressing could set you back about 1,000 calories. My revamped version has not even half that amount yet it still features all the Cobb salad favorites complete with a bacon-ranch dressing. It’s heaven in a jar.
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Bacon Ranch dressing (recipe below)
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked and diced
- ¼ cup diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced or diced
- ¼ cup diced avocado
- ¼ cup diced grilled chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed greens or romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (optional, this does add a little kick)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 scallion (green onion), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 slices cooked turkey bacon, finely chopped
Prepare the dressing: Stir all ingredients together until well-combined. Pour 2 to 4 tablespoons on the bottom of the jar.
Add the bacon, cucumber and blue cheese.
Next, add the egg and avocado.
Layer on the chicken and tomatoes.
Fill the rest of the jar with salad greens until the jar is packed to the top.
Screw on the lid and refrigerate until ready to serve (within 24 hours).
When ready to eat, shake the jar to disperse the dressing and pour onto a plate or large bowl, or eat straight from the jar!