This is a beautiful and impressive dessert that is so classically Southern and delicious!
- 1½ cans (21 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 egg yolks
- One 10-inch graham cracker pie shell
- 6 egg whites
- Egg white meringue powder, preferably Deco Whip
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Raspberries, for garnish
For the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, lemon juice and zest. Then, blend in the egg yolks.
3. Pour the filling into graham cracker pie shell.
4. Bake for 16 minutes or until firm to the touch in the middle.
5. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Once cooled, transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
For the meringue topping:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. While pie is cooling, combine the egg whites and meringue powder and beat until soft peak form.
3. Gradually add in the sugar and keep whipping until stiff peaks form.
4. Spread the meringue heavily on top of the cold pie.
5. Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown.
6. Let the pie cool, then garnish with raspberries, slice and serve.