- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 small shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 8 slices best quality rye bread
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
- English mustard
- 1½ pounds cooked corned beef, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Irish Cheddar, grated, preferably Kerrygold
Crispy rye bread, tender corned beef, melty Irish cheddar, sharp mustard and cool cucumber pickles come together to make the ultimate sandwich for St. Patrick's day.
For the pickles:
In a bowl mix together the sugar and vinegar until the sugar has dissolved. Mix in the salt and shallot and add the thin slices of cucumber. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
For the sandwiches:1.
Butter both sides of the rye bread, and spread generous amounts of mustard on one side of each slice.2.
Divide the corned beef slices amongst 4 of the bread slices. Top with cheese and sandwich together with the remaining bread slices.3.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and fry each sandwich with butter until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted.4.
Slice each sandwich in half and serve with pickle slices on the side.