- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut or Coconut Angel Flakes
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 pinch kosher or sea salt, plus more for the glasses
- 1 lime, quartered, for the glasses
- 1½ cups cream of coconut
- 1 cup white or silver tequila
- 2/3 cup Triple Sec, Cointreau, or other orange liqueur
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cups ice cubes, for making slushy style or serving on the rocks
"Let this Coco Lime Margarita transport you to the beach where you can taste the salty sea breeze in the rim and munch on toasted sweetened coconut with a sprinkle of lime zest as you sip along a creamy and luscious margarita," says Pati Jinich of Pati's Mexican Table.
Make-Ahead: The margarita mix (without the ice) can be made up to a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.2.
Spread the coconut on a small baking sheet, sprinkle with the lime zest and pinch of salt, mix well, and spread out again. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes, until the coconut is just barely beginning to color; it should not brown. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.3.
Pour some salt onto a small plate. Rub the rims of the glasses with the quartered lime, squeezing a little of the juice over them, then gently dip in the salt, coating the rims all around. Set aside.4.
Combine the cream of coconut, tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice in a blender and puree until completely smooth. If making slushy-style margaritas, add the ice and blend until almost smooth. Pour into glasses and serve with the toasted flakes on top. Or, if serving on the rocks, fill each glass with about 1/2 cup ice cubes, pour in the margarita mixture, and top with the coconut flakes.