This tangy cornbread is not only great with chili but it is also delicious on its own or toasted and drizzled with honey.
Technique tip: Do not over process the batter or the cornbread will be tough.
Swap option: You can sub yogurt or crème fraÎche for the sour cream.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Butter a 9- by 9- by 2-inch metal baking pan.
2. Blend the first 6 ingredients in a food processor for 5 seconds. Add the butter. Blend until the butter is reduced to tiny pieces, 15 to 20 seconds. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and sour cream in a large bowl to blend. Add the dry ingredients from the processor to the wet ingredients in the bowl and stir until evenly moistened. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake the cornbread until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool the bread on a rack at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.