This pretty spring asparagus tart is part of our make-ahead Mother's Day menu and can be prepared two days before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and bring a 3- to 4-quart pot of water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus to the water and cook for 2 minutes until they are bright green but still crisp-tender, then plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain the asparagus well.
- Unroll the crust and place into a pie pan. Assemble the tart by sprinkling half the red peppers across the crust, then top with half of each of the two cheeses. Place half the asparagus on top of the cheese, then repeat with the remaining peppers, cheese, and asparagus.
- Whisk the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and minced dill (if using) in a bowl and pour evenly over the vegetables and cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the tart filing is puffed and set in the center. If the crust starts to brown too deeply before the tart is fully set, cover it loosely with foil to prevent burning.
- Cool on a rack to room temperature, then cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To serve: Bring to room temperature before serving and garnish with dill fronds if desired.