Celebrating the Kentucky Derby calls for festive drinks and delightful desserts. This recipe combines the iconic mint juleps with sweet cupcakes for a two-in-one treat to celebrate the big race.
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons honey bourbon, such as Jim Beam
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring
- Mint leaves, for decoration
- Green sprinkles, for decoration
- Silver sugar pearls, for decoration
For the cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a muffin tin with silver cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to get rid of any lumps. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Beat in vanilla, bourbon and sour cream until combined.
4. With a wooden spoon, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients a little at a time until everything is combined. The batter will be thick. Fill the cupcake liners a little more than half full of batter.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
For the frosting:
1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until combined and creamy. Add the vanilla, peppermint and food coloring and beat until combined.
2. Use an offset spatula to spread the icing onto the cooled cupcakes, or put the icing in a pastry bag fitted with a large piping tip and pipe the icing onto the cupcakes.
3. Use green sprinkles, silver pearls and a mint leaf to decorate the cupcakes.