I love this dish because it is so simple to prepare. The rib-eye cap is also one of my personal favorite cuts of beef. It's wonderfully tender and incredibly flavorful at the same time.
- 1 cup neutral cooking oil, preferably rice bran or avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pound rib-eye cap steak
- Good-quality butter
For the marinade:
Combine the above four ingredients in a blender, process for 1 minute.
For the rib-eye cap:
1. Bring the beef to room temperature (pull from fridge 1-2 hours before cooking). Pat the beef dry and rub it with the marinade. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F with a cast iron pan inside.
3. Carefully remove the pan once your oven comes to temp and place the pan on a burner over high heat.
4. Carefully place your beef in the pan and sear for 3-4 minutes. Flip the meat over and transfer the pan back to the oven and cook for 3-5 minutes.
5. Remove the steak from the pan and let rest on a plate for an additional 4-5 minutes with a generous amount of good quality butter melting on the top. Slice and serve with the melted butter drippings over the top.