The fresh lemon juice and zest adds a burst of bright flavor to this otherwise simple chicken salad. Save time by using leftover cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- 4 cups cooked chicken (skinless white or dark meat, about 2 pounds)
- 1¼ cups mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1 whole lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 small handful parsley, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 12 slices rustic bread (like sourdough or a white farmhouse boule)
- Romaine or butter lettuce leaves
1. Dice the cooked chicken and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together mayo, lemon juice, salt, celery, tarragon and parsley. Add the diced chicken and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
3. Assemble sandwiches on sliced bread with lettuce.