This hearty vegetable soup has less salt and fat than canned soups, and more vegetables. It's my favorite soup recipe. This recipe makes a big batch and the soup freezes well.
- 12 cups reduced sodium or no salt added beef broth (or vegetable broth for a meat-free option)
- 1 large can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in thick tomato puree
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large carrots, cut into one-inch pieces
- 4 parsnips, cut into one-inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 cup string beans, cut into pieces
- Fresh romaine leaves, shredded
1. Into a large stock pot, pour the beef or vegetable broth. Break up the whole tomatoes and add with the puree into the stock pot. Add all of the cut up vegetables, except the green beans. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and cook for 40 minutes.
2. Add green beans and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Add shredded romaine and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Serve.