This easy to make recipe is rustic Italian cooking at it's best. The savory sausages, hearty beans and fresh veggies come together for a quick and delicious dinner.
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked broccoli rabe, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips, seeds removed
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips, seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips, seeds removed
- 2 medium onions, cut into 2-inch wide strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained
1. Heat the grill to medium high heat, add the sausages, brown on all sides and cook until done, about 10 minutes. While the sausages are cooking, prepare the peppers, onions and broccoli rabe.
2. In a large heavy bottom skillet, heat the olive oil over low heat, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, broccoli rabe, peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 8 minutes until soft. Finally, add the cannellini beans and simmer for another 2 minutes.
3. To serve, plate the sausages and top with the pepper, onion, broccoli rabe and cannellini bean mixture.