- 2 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup store-bought orange juice
- 10 whole cloves (the more the better!)
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1¼ cups granulated brown sugar
- 1¼ cups water
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 750-milliliter bottles dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Beaujolais Nouveau
- 1/2 cup brandy or Cointreau
This is the mulled wine recipe to end all mulled wine recipes. With all the wintry spices and notes of citrus, it’ll warm you right up from the inside!
Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemons and oranges in wide strips, avoiding the white pith; place the zest in a large saucepan. Juice the lemons and oranges and add the juice to the pan. Add store-bought orange juice, cloves and cardamom.2.
Add the sugar, water and cinnamon sticks, place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by about one-third, about 20 minutes.3.
Add the red wine and brandy, stir to combine, and bring just to a simmer (don't let it boil). Remove from the heat and strain the spices before serving.