This is the mulled wine recipe to end all mulled wine recipes. With all the wintry spices and notes of citrus, it’ll warm you right up from the inside!
- 2 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup store-bought orange juice
- 10 whole cloves (the more the better!)
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1¼ cups granulated brown sugar
- 1¼ cups water
- Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
- Two 750-milliliter bottles dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Beaujolais Nouveau
- 1/2 cup brandy or Cointreau
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemons and oranges in wide strips, avoiding the white pith; place the zest in a large saucepan. Juice the lemons and oranges and add the juice to the pan. Add store-bought orange juice, cloves and cardamom.
2. Add the sugar, water and cinnamon sticks, place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by about one-third, about 20 minutes.
3. Add the red wine and brandy, stir to combine, and bring just to a simmer (don't let it boil). Remove from the heat and strain the spices before serving.