Quinoa is so easy to incorporate into your diet — plus it's a great way to get more fiber. This recipe is a healthier take on a comfort food classic that I absolutely couldn't get enough of when I was growing up. There's no question that you'll kids will love them, too.
Technique tip: The crunchy quinoa can be stored in an airtight container and you can also use it to top salads or make a healthier version of veggie tempura, etc.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch cayenne powder (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Spread out the cooked quinoa on the sheet. Bake in the oven until dry and crispy, about 25 minutes, stirring once, monitoring it to ensure that it does not burn.
3. Once it is finished, allow it to cool to room temperature to get crunchy.
4. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
5. In a medium bowl, mix together the baked quinoa, Parmesan, rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne (if using) and black pepper.
6. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg and egg white.
7. Dip the chicken chunks in the egg mixture, then coat with the quinoa mixture.
8. Place the coated nuggets on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-18 minutes.
9. Enjoy with your favorite condiment!
Reprinted from Fit Men Cook: 100+ Meal Prep Recipes for Men and Women ― Always #HealthyAF, Never Boring. Copyright © 2018 by Fit Men Cook, LLC. Photographs copyright © 2018 by Kevin Marple. Published by TOUCHSTONE, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc.