- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 bone-in split chicken breasts with skin
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste (annatto seed)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cloves garlic smashed in a mortar and pestle or placed in a plastic bag and hit with a ladle
- 1/4 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup packed chopped cilantro
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 4 cups water (divided on half)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
- 1/3 cup sliced green olives
- 2 tablespoons Media Crema (find it in the Mexican aisle of your grocery store -- open can and refrigerate for 15 min only using the cream that rises to the top)
- Cooked rice, for serving
Supermodel Camila Alves cooks up one of her favorite Brazilian dishes, a Crockpot stew teeming with chicken, beans, tomatoes, corn and olives. Serve it over rice to make it a complete hearty meal.
Heat slow cooker on high, add oil, chicken skin side down, salt and achiote into slow cooker. Toss to coat chicken.
In a blender, add smashed garlic, red pepper, cilantro, diced onion, and tomato. Pour in 2 cups of water and blend well. Pour blended mixture over chicken in slow cooker and then add two more cups of water to slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours.
Drain the chicken and vegetables, reserving all the broth.
Let chicken cool and pull/shred meat from the chicken breasts.
Return the meat to a large fry pan. Add corn, green olives and only the cream that rises to the top of the Media Creme, and some of the reserved chicken stock to reach your desired consistency.
Warm it up and serve with rice.