These sliders are slightly spicy, really flavorful and delightfully messy. They are great when there's a big game on TV or if you find yourself suddenly with a houseful of hungry men. They're slightly spicy, incredibly flavorful, and super messy in a wonderful way! The little jalapeño slices absolutely make the dish.
Technique tip: Turn off the open flame before pouring in the whiskey!
Swap options: You can use ground turkey instead of beef. Instead of making sliders, make meatballs and serve with toothpicks instead of buns.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, plus more for buns
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/4 cup jarred jalapeño slices, plus more to taste
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 12 slider buns, split
1. Form the meat into 12 miniature patties and season them with salt and pepper on both sides. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the patties until just about done in the middle, approximately 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of grease, then return the skillet to the stove.
2. Add the diced onion to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, about 3 minutes.
3. Turn off the flame and pour in the whiskey. Turn the flame back on to medium heat, stir, then allow the whiskey to reduce by half, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the jalapeños and the barbecue sauce. Reduce the heat to low and place the patties in the barbecue sauce, turning to coat. Allow the patties to simmer in the sauce until everything is hot and bubbling. Season with salt to taste.
4. Lightly butter and toast the buns. Serve the sliders on the buns with extra sauce on the side.