This meatloaf recipe is so simple and easy that I typically make extra for dinner so I'm guaranteed leftovers the next day for these delicious sandwiches. It's flavorful enough on its own, but combine it with crisp, buttery bread and gooey, melted cheese and the result is a unique and amazing sandwich you'll want to make again and again!
Technique tip: If you don't have a panini press, use a skillet and a heavy lid to create a flattened sandwich.
Swap option: You can use ground beef or ground chicken instead of turkey, and you can experiment with different cheeses for your sandwich.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- sliced sourdough bread
- leftover meatloaf (recipe above)
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- pickles, jalapeños and pickled red onions, to serve (optional)
For the meatloaf:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the turkey, bread crumbs, milk, onion, egg, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce.
3. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place in a lightly greased, shallow pan. Stir together the vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and remaining tomato sauce. Pour about 1/3 of the tomato sauce mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
4. Bake until meatloaf is no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour, basting with the remaining tomato sauce mixture every 15 minutes.
For the sandwiches:
1. Heat up a panini press.
2. Butter one side of sliced sourdough and place sliced meatloaf on top of unbuttered side.
3. Add cheese and any optional accompaniments, and top with another slice of buttered bread (buttered side on top).
4. Place sandwich in panini press and cook for about 5 minutes, until meatloaf is heated through and cheese is melted.