A pro move is to spoon some of this queso on your tortilla and then layer some carne asada over that for a makeshift mulita. This one is also vegetarian friendly. Don’t be afraid to dive in and expect some of the best cheese-pulls of your life.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh epazote, divided
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, button, or white or brown birch), quartered
- 1 pound queso Oaxaca, shredded
- fresh tortillas or tortilla chips, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 F.2.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of the epazote, the vinegar and garlic and season with salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.3.
In a medium cast-iron pan, add the shredded Oaxaca cheese and the remaining tablespoon epazote. Stir to combine and put the pan in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the cheese is fully melted.4.
While the cheese is melting, add the mushrooms and their marinade to another cast-iron or nonstick pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are deeply bronzed and nearly crispy on the edges, 15 to 20 minutes.5.
Gently spoon the mushroom mixture in the center of the melted cheese. Serve the queso immediately in the pan with the tortillas or tortilla chips.