- 1 small bunch pencil asparagus, bottoms trimmed
- 1 small red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 4 tablespoon basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 slice rustic country bread
- 1 slice garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 pound vacherin cheese, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves picked
In a bowl, combine the asparagus and onion, and toss in the oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Place the asparagus and onion on a grill or in a hot grill pan and cook until slightly charred, 5 to 10 minutes.
Return the asparagus and onion to a mixing bowl, toss in the vinegar and basil, and set aside.
Grill the bread until golden brown on one side only.
Remove and lightly rub the toasted side with garlic.
Top the garlic toast with the asparagus and onion, and follow with the cheese.
Place the open-faced sandwiches on the grill, cover, and remove when the cheese is just starting to melt.
Garnish with the thyme.
Cut each sandwich in half and serve.