These juicy burgers incorporate all the flavors of the classic brunch cocktail favorite. It may seem like a strange combination, but tomato, Worcestershire, horseradish, celery seeds and hot sauce all go great with beef and make this burger a real standout.
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef, preferably sirloin
- 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons celery seeds
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- Red leaf lettuce leaves
- Sliced tomato
- American cheese
1. In a bowl, using a fork, gently stir the ground sirloin with the horseradish, tomato paste, hot sauce, Worcestershire, celery seeds, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Using 2 lids from 1-quart takeout containers, press one fourth of the beef mixture into a perfect patty (you can see a demonstration of this technique here). Transfer to a plate. Repeat to form the remaining 3 patties.
2. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Season the patties lightly with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until medium rare, about 8 to 10 minutes (or longer if you prefer a more well-done burger). Transfer the burgers to the buns, top with mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and cheese, and serve.