This sandwich is a great way to use up leftover veggies. I use a medley of zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, bell pepper and eggplant, but it's great for finishing up whatever you have on hand. And, best of all, it tastes like a veggie pizza!
- 4 tablespoons pesto, store-bought or homemade
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 cups leftover roasted vegetables
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup basil or spinach leaves
- 4 tablespoons low-calorie mayo
1. Evenly spread pesto on each piece of sourdough. Add a slice of cheese on each slice.
2. Add 1/2 cup of roasted veggies on one slice. Sprinkle on Italian seasoning, top with basil and another slice of cheese, then top the sandwich with other slice of bread.
3. Spread some mayo on top of the sandwich.
4. Set a non-stick skillet or cast-iron pan over high heat. Once hot, lightly spray with oil, then add the sandwich to the pan, mayo-side down. Cook in the skillet for 2-3 minutes until golden-brown. While it cooks in the skillet, add mayo to the top of the sandwich. Flip after 3 minutes and cook until golden-brown and the cheese has melted.