Samantha Okazaki / TODAY
- 2 1/2 pounds dark meat chicken
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups flour
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- In a large baking dish, soak chicken in buttermilk, preferably overnight (or for as long as possible).
- When ready to fry, set up a station near the stove: place eggs in one shallow dish and flour in another.
- Lightly beat eggs and generously season both eggs and flour with salt and pepper.
- On the stove in a deep skillet, heat vegetable shortening over medium high heat. Take a piece of chicken from the buttermilk, letting most of it drip off, and dip in the egg wash then the flour. Repeat this process: egg wash, flour. Then place chicken in skillet.
- Fry for roughly 15 minutes, until nice and golden and properly cooked. Remove and place on a paper-towel lined tray.