The holidays are the most festive time of year! I love to make and gift these nuts because they are full of bold flavor but also a healthier alternative to the sugary cookies and other indulgent treats of the season.
Swap option: You can use any mix of nuts you prefer. If you like your snacks spicier, add an extra pinch or two of cayenne.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 pound pecan halves
- 1/2 pound walnut halves
- 1/2 pound cashews
1. Preheat oven to 250 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine all sugar and spice dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix well. Set aside.
3. In a second bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, then fold in half of the spice/sugar mixture.
4. In a large bowl, add nuts, pour egg white/spice mixture over nuts and mix until well-coated.
5. Pour mixture on to the prepared baking sheets, spreading out in an even layer, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven then let cool for an hour.
6. Once cooled, sprinkle with remaining dry spice mix. Store at room temperature in air-tight containers.