Get the latest from TODAY
The best toys and gifts for 7-year-olds help them write stories, draw detailed pictures, build and create things.
Crafts, sports equipment and building materials are among the top toys for 7-year-olds, noted Susan Kambrich, head of the Woodland Hill Montessori School in Rensselaer, New York, and Treasurer of the Board of Directors for the American Montessori Society.
At age 7, kids are also becoming more confident readers, ready to explore the world through graphic novels, nonfiction books and more sophisticated chapter books — though they will still get plenty of satisfaction from picture books, too.
When we release our 2019 gift guides, we make sure all prices are current. But, prices change frequently (yay, deals!), so there’s a chance the prices are now different than they were the day of publication.
Our top 5 Gifts for 7-year-olds
- 1. Donkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board, $30, Amazon
A magnetic dart board is great for motor skills and competition, without the danger of real darts.
- 2. Style.Lab Magic Sequin Reveal Pouch, $10, Amazon
Flip sequins are all the rage. Give them something to keep art supplies or collectibles in. (This reverses to reveal a unicorn.)
- 3. ThinkFun Laser Maze, $30 (originally $32), Amazon
This logic game promotes STEM skills. Try the junior version for kids who might appreciate a more approachable challenge.
- 4. Crescent Acoustic Guitar Starter Pack, $30, Amazon
Seven is a good age to start playing an instrument. "Not only do children love music, it also develops areas of the brain related to language, memory and reasoning," Kambrich said. This small guitar comes with everything you need to get started, so it's a great instrument for beginners.
- 5. Geomag Glow Kit, $70, Amazon
Gummer recommended these magnetic construction pieces, similar to the popular Magnatiles that let kids build endless combinations.
Toys for 7-year-olds
- 1. Lottie Doll Wildlife Photographer, $25, Amazon
- 2. Klutz LEGO Chain Reaction kit, $18 (originally $22), Walmart
"Building can engage children in higher level thinking and creative problem solving through hands-on design and construction," said Kambrich. Any LEGO kit will be a hit for 7-year-olds, but this one promotes STEM skills along with construction.
- 3. LEGO Harry Potter Great Hall, $100, Amazon
Combine LEGO love with Harry Potter love and you might get magic.
- 4. Crayola Color Chemistry Lab, $20, Target
This kit includes 50 different colorful experiments.
- 5. Binoculars, $27, Amazon
- 6. Learning Resources Beaker Creatures, $25, Amazon
Combine science with collectibles as kids use a bubbly reaction to find a hidden creature.
- 7. Sick Science Fizz Pop Boom Science Kit, $17, Amazon
Turn a soda bottle into a rocket and more with this science kit to encourage STEM skills.
- 8. Pop-Up Soccer Goals, $34, Amazon
Sports are becoming more rewarding to 7-year-olds as they gain strength and stamina. "Gifts that help children gain confidence in their abilities can really help this age," Dr. Gummer said.
Books for 7-year-olds
- 1. "Mac B, Kid Spy," by Mac Barnett, $11 (originally $13), Amazon
This new chapter book series is a humorous mock-memoir about the years before Mac Barnett was the best-selling author of books including the Terrible Two series.
- 2. "Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker" by Shelley Johannes, $5, Amazon
Shelley Johannes' new chapter book heroine does her best thinking upside down. Perfect for fans of "Dory Fantasmagory."
- 3. "Who Is (Your Name Here)" by Paul K. Manzanero, $9, Amazon
- 4. "Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas," by Dav Pilkey, $7 (originally $10), Amazon
King of kid humor Dav Pilkey brings the fun of "Captain Underpants" to the new adventures of Dog Man in this graphic novel.
- 5. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," by J.K. Rowling, $10 (originally $13), Amazon
- 6. "Carmela Full of Wishes," by Matt de la Pena and Chistian Robinson, $13 (originally $18), Amazon
The new picture book from Matt de la Pena and Christian Robinson of "Last Stop on Market Street" tells the story of a child of immigrants.
- 7. "She Persisted" Boxed Set, $16, Amazon
These profiles of women who made a difference are a great introduction to nonfiction. Or try Chelsea Clinton's "Start Now!" for ages 7 and up.
- 8. "Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare," by Shannon and Dean Hale, $13 (originally $15), Amazon
The latest in Shannon and Dean Hale's "Princess in Black" series, about a princess with a secret identity.
- 9. "Princesses Wear Pants" by Savannah Guthrie and Allison Oppenheim, $18, NBC Store
We love this gift idea for the family that wants to teach their little ones that girls have the freedom to dress, and do, what they want!
Games for 7-year-olds
- 1. Mattel Games Uno Tin, $3, Walmart
This classic game appeals to a 7-year-old's sense of competition and fair play. "Learning to lose and win is an important skill to gain," Gummer said.
- 2. Rush Hour Jr. Traffic Jam Puzzle, $9, Amazon
This logic game comes with a growing list of challenges. (Or try the 8 and up version for a little math whiz.)
Craft supplies for 7-year-olds
- 1. eeBoo Colored Pencils, $12, Amazon
Beautiful pencils can make writing and drawing a joy.
- 2. eeBoo Write and Draw Notebook Set, $15, Amazon
These journals are the perfect place to write stories, practice drawing or start a journal.
- 3. Grandparent Pen Pal Kit, $24, Uncommon Goods
What better way to get a 7-year-old excited about writing? (And their grandparents.)
- 4. Moulin Roty Sewing Kit, $63, Amazon
Seven-year-olds are ready for more intricate crafting, including sewing or knitting.