Todd Mitgang of Crave Fishbar in New York City shares a delicious summer recipe that takes grilled shrimp to a whole new level.
- 8 large white shrimp, deshelled and deveined
- 24 shishito peppers
- Olive oil
- 1/8 cup of micro purple shiso leaf (optional, for garnish)
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 small shallot, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 Fresno chilies whole, stems and seeds removed
- 1 cup ginger, chopped (skin on and washed)
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
Place all sauce ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend at 3/4 speed so that the sauce has some texture. Reserve to the side and/or pour in a dipping bowl
Toss the shrimp and shishito peppers with olive oil and salt. Grill the shrimp and shishito peppers until the shrimp are cooked and the peppers are blistered.
Lean the shrimp and the peppers on top of one another. Serve the dipping sauce to the side. If using, scatter the micro purple shiso leaves on the plate.