The creamy tzatziki dressing is so flavorful that you don't even realize it's healthy. Plus, since the salad is so hearty, it's a great make ahead and works well as a take-to-work lunch.
Technique Tip: If you don't have any cheesecloth to wring out the cucumber, you can double up on some paper towels. Just be careful not to tear the paper towels when you squeeze.
Swap Option: Swap the 2 tablespoons of fresh dill for 1 teaspoon of dried dill.
- 1 English cucumber
- Salt and pepper
- One 7-ounce container full fat Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- One 10-ounce bag frozen, microwavable brown rice
- One 15½-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 bunch curly kale, chopped, about 6 cups
1. Place a box grater into a large mixing bowl. Grate the cucumber on the large holes of the box grater. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and mix. Let the mixture set for 10 minutes. Line a sieve with some cheese cloth. Pour the cucumber and its liquid into the sieve and wring out all of the liquid. Wipe the mixing bowl clean and place the dry cucumber back into the bowl.
2. Add the Greek yogurt, red onion, lemon juice, lemon zest and olive oil to the cucumber and mix until well combined. Season with 1½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
3. Microwave the brown rice according to package directions. While the rice is still warm, add into the dressing and toss. Add in the chickpeas and kale. Toss until well dressed and place in the fridge to chill. Serve salad chilled. The salad can be made a few hours in advance.